Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Fantasy Shot to Hell

I'm sure I am not the only one to have an unrequited love. The fella one sees from afar, wishing perhaps some sort of happy accident, like both bending over to pick up a dropped item and bashing heads, to make him notice you.

So months, perhaps years pass, of chancing across this local bachelor, my ideal Jewish nerd. Perhaps one's stomach may swoop as he appears, walking mindlessly by as one's devotion screams silently across the distance. "If only," one ponders hopelessly. 
http://static.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1312850122575_7112313.png
Then the miracle happens. Someone redts him! "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'' (The Jabberwocky, Lewis Carrol) Years of painful longing to be cast aside, as true love always triumphs! I now believe in romance, as divine music floats serenely above, awash in the glow of rainbows and ponies! 

The date flops. His monotone, tedious dissertations had me dozing off. Our mindsets were not remotely eye to eye, providing we even made eye contact. Perhaps there was one bare chuckle of a shared joke. My soul's yearning has reverted back to Data

After scurrying back into the house, praying for never any chance encounters again, I now see him more in the span of two weeks then I ever had in two years. 

Dagnabbit!

2 comments:

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

I had a similar experience. I had a crush on a girl all through my teenage years but never had the guts to ask her out. Years later we got together for lunch (not a date though) and I discovered we had pretty much nothing in coming and that having a conversation with her that didn't grind to an awkward halt every few minutes was impossible.
{Sigh}
But Data? Really? When you could want Spock?

Princess Lea said...

Spock? Of course, Spock! Deeply passionate, yet reined in by his rationale. Since until the new reboot I have only been exposed to an aging Leonard Nemoy, he wasn't the glamorous option, but now with Zachary Quinto there is fantasy-hope.

Thanks for the recommendation!