Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Guilt-Free

I haven't gone to many singles events (well, make that one and a half). Due to the residual trauma, I have been very discerning, until a lovely woman/shadchan (I mean that with all sincerity, she really is a lovely woman/shadchan) e-mailed me an invite to her function

Now, her I trust, so I sent a cheerful RSVP and a check, which would be going to tzedakah. I was told the details of the event (specifically the location and time) would be emailed later. 

Silence. 

The check was not deposited, and no updates were sent. I shrugged, figuring the event was canceled. 

On the day of, I was actually a limp husk, recovering from the flu. I still, for some reason, peaked at my inbox (while draped sideways on the bed), but no new information was forthcoming. 

A few weeks later, when I was upright again, my inbox pinged: The lovely lady was sorry that she had been not able to meet me at the event. 

Hey! 

I quickly contacted her that I had not gotten any updates, but it was just as well since I was incapable of standing for more than 15 seconds at a time anyway. 

But what I find intriguing is how I was willing to do what many refer to as hishtadlus (by attending a singles event), yet I was waylaid by not one, but two circumstances to prevent my going. 

As it turned out, after I was informed as to the clientele, I was thanking Hashem profusely for preventing my attendance ("the cure before the disease") as not one, but two Cradle Robbers were on the prowl (masquerading under creative imaginary ages).         

No comments: