Monday, July 10, 2017

The Healthy Homemaker?

Those that know me also know I am not crazy about the word "exercise." It sounds so official. It seems synonymous with "gym membership." It sounds disagreeably sweaty. 

In recent years, it had come to equal "skinny," but that is not true. It is, however, one with "health." In the Blue Zones, the advanced aged spend hours moving, but in the process of everyday chores. 

I have discovered—to my shock—that I am a cheerful domestic. I like pottering about the house, setting it to rights, doing loads of laundry (although my ironing needs improvement), windexing, chopping vegetables, etc. That's movement, right? Maybe not involving a spinning class, but I'll take it.  
 https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfeed/images/infographics/0215_W4_I_Chores-2.jpg
Aaron Carroll reported last year (I've been sitting on this for a year!?) that while exercise does not help with body weight, it is the cure for everything else ("Closest Thing to a Wonder Drug"). 
I have not been alone in thinking that physical activity to improve health should be hard. When I hear friends talk about exercising, they discuss running marathons, participating in CrossFit classes or sacrificing themselves on the altar of SoulCycle. That misses the point, unfortunately. All of these are much more than you need to do to get the benefits I’ve described.
The recommendations for exercise are 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity physical activity for adults, or about 30 minutes each weekday.
Moderate intensity is probably much less than you think. Walking briskly, at 3 to 4 miles per hour or so, qualifies. So does bicycling slower than 10 miles an hour. Anything that gets your heart rate somewhere between 110 and 140 beats per minute is enough. Even vacuuming, mowing the lawn or walking your dog might qualify.
Vacuuming counts! Yes

3 comments:

JG said...

I'm so glad you're back!

as a former high-level athlete, I now find "exercise" in all sorts of ways & places, including vacuuming! yes... it can be done ;)

I have a somewhat unusual request. I didn't see a way to contact you directly thru your blog, so I'll ask you here. you've written that you're of Hungarian Jewish background, my husband is as well (some of the things you've written take me back to his grandmother-- in the best way possible) & since I'm not, I'm always interested in deepening my understanding of the culture & characteristics. you seem like you'd have lots to say on the subject. would you be willing to email me privately?

shabbat shalom!

Princess Lea said...

Hi JG!

I would be happy to correspond to you, but please know first that my schedule is quite hectic at the moment and prompt responses may be beyond me. ;)

frumanista@gmail.com

JG said...

wonderful! I'll email you soon! & I'm not myself the best example of promptness, esp when life gets busy-- so I promise to be patient :)