Thursday, February 8, 2018

Not Your Standard Fasírt

"Do you cook?" 

I'm not sure what these women want from me. I need to eat, right? Plus I never shut up about healthy fare. So yeah, I cook. Like you cook. Like anyone else cooks. I cooked before I got married. Why is this a topic of interest?

"What's for dinner tonight?" one even asked in middle of a conversation, attempting to catch me off guard. 

"Slow cooker minestrone," I replied truthfully. I decided that if asked such a question again, I would lie.

For years I have been organizing recipes in endless word documents, experimenting all the while, but most remained untried. Marriage has provided the perfect opportunity. 

I grew up with fasírt (we pronounce it fush[rhymes with "rush"]-yit). It's a hamburger pattie, fried. The usual ingredients are ground meat of choice, soaked dry bread or crumbs, eggs, and seasoning. 

Ma modified it over the years, of course. Oat bran instead of bread. Chopped mushrooms. If in the mood, a sauteed onion. 

I thought that the only way the meat would stay bound was with carbs and eggs. Then I came across this recipe, that uses only grated zucchini. 

Say WHAT? 

Well, let's give this a try. 

Chicken Zucchini Fasírt (adapted from One Lovely Life's Chicken Zucchini Poppers)

1 lb. ground chicken
2 cups grated and squeezed zucchini
3 scallions, sliced fine and small
2 cloves garlic, minced
ketchup, healthy squirt
sriracha, a dash
salt and pepper

1)  The first rule of ground meat is to not overwork the mixture. Throw all ingredients together and using the flat of your hand, pummel everything together until just mixed.  

2) Heat up a frying pan with oil, medium-ish heat. Wet hands, form mixture into patties and chuck 'em in. The batter will be a bit messy but it's all good, as long as you've squeezed the most of the liquid out of the zucchini. 
3) Every flame is different, so I can't say how long you should cook it. 5 minutes for sure on one side, but if the frying side looks too pale leave it for a while longer. And the oil shouldn't be hysterical, or else it'll burn before cooked through. 

4) Flip 'em over. 

5) When done, drain on paper towel. 
6) Alternatively, though I have never tried it, a grill pan is an option. My in-laws use it for their fasírt sometimes.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not surprised you found a way to substitute zucchini for breadcrumbs, PL, though I am a bit surprised you are willing to cook fried food ;)

Princess Lea said...

Can't completely overhaul it, or else I'll have a revolution on my hands ;)