Monday, June 8, 2020

Eye Makeup Remover is Serious Stuff

Once upon a time, when Sephora would have their 20% off events, I would stock up on enough makeup to last me quite some time. So it was only a few months ago that I noticed I was on my last bottle of Philosophy Just Release Me eye makeup remover. 

I moseyed over to the internet to find my baby, only to discover that it had been discontinued

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Before you pat me on the back in a comforting fashion, bear in mind it took me forever to find Just Release Me in the first place. The usual favorite, by Lancome, left behind a greasy residue (in my mind). Every other product I tried merely smeared the mascara into racoon circles around my eyes, as opposed to removing it. 

I researched "dupe" frantically, and found an obscure post on an obscure blog claiming that they, too, panicked at the disappearance of Just Release Me, but found that the eye makeup remover by Neutrogena was an excellent replacement. It even had the same ingredients, the blogger wrote. 

I was dubious, as I had tried nearly every drugstore eye makeup remover already and they were disappointing. But, I tend to believe everyone's recommendations so I thought I'd give it a whirl. 

And . . . she was right! 

So, while I feel slightly stupid for paying so much over these past who knows how many years, I am thankful I do not have to rub my eyes into an early wrinkly future. Shiver.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you've covered this extensively...but any good recs for eye cream? My lids often feel very dry. Special ways to apply it?

Princess Lea said...

Ah! Eye creams can be a delicate matter because I've found many can irritate my eyes.

Han picks up for me formerly expensive creams at TJ Maxx and Marshalls, and they're more for anti-aging than moisturizing. However, I am a big fan of Cetaphil moisturizers (as recommended by a dermatologist) and they apparently have a hydrating eye cream in a tube, which is the best way for products to be stores (as opposed to tubs or jars).

Always tap it on with the ring finger, no shmearing (that pulls at the skin, and we don't want wrinkles, do we?)

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Cetaphil should be easy to find. And I agree with tubes vs jars, no question.

Just a couple more things:

1) Do you have specific anti aging cream that are good for crow's feet?

2) I have a good eye makeup rec that I just discovered (though you probably already are aware of, but just in case): the roll on cream eye shadow by Julep. So easy to apply and stays on. I have it in Putty, which is a lovely very pale purple, but there are many shades.

Princess Lea said...

1) OK, it's pricey unless you find it in TJ Maxx, but Algenist makes amazing eye products. The eye area is so ridiculously tight after you start using it it's insane.

2) Thanks to Ben, my knowledge of makeup is totally behind. I'm still working through my stockpile of makeup so I haven't needed to research anything new, so I definitely appreciate the tip!

Anonymous said...

Truth is that sometimes it's more cost efficient to just buy one good product that constantly buy cheaper versions, try them out....
I guess I will have to start haunting TO Maxx from now on, that's all, lol.

Princess Lea said...

You'll bump into Han there for sure.

Anonymous said...

Lol! Stores haven't totally reopened where I live, so I looked around online and found some (comparably) actually reasonable prices on ebay. Just 3 days of the recharging over night serum, and wow, you are right, it *is* like magic. Practically! Awaiting a delivery of the eye cream:)

Princess Lea said...

Positively magical