Monday, April 19, 2021

The Way to the Heart is through the Stomach

I am going to say something now which will, in all probability, be considered controversial. 

Are you currently dating someone but can't get them to commit? 

Bake and/or cook for them.

I "joke" with Han that he would have married me much sooner if I had made muffins for him while we were dating. 

"No, no," he denies, his mouth full of lemon cake. But there is no denying the adoration shining in his eyes. 

I didn't really get into baking until we married. Ma used to hog the kitchen in that regard, and while I would be intrigued by different recipes, she wasn't exactly encouraging. She wasn't that jazzed about potential mess and sugary temptation.

But it turns out that I like to bake. Can baking be a hobby? I don't have many others, so it would be nice to have one. I see a recipe and I itch to try it. I frantically calculate: How much sugar can I shave off? How can I divide it into a smaller pan? What ingredients do I still need for it? I've always sucked at math but now I convert tablespoons to cups with ease.

As I type this, I have a whopper of a burn on my left wrist. Ben has a fascination with the oven so when I have to quickly get something out (it can be just a few moment between moist and dry goodies) I tend to scorch myself. It's fine. It's like a cool battle scar.

So after I started dabbling in baking, I noticed that Han was happy. Very very happy. While I grew up with at least two steady cake options in the freezer, Han did not. That makes him quite appreciative of my homey efforts.

And so we "joke." 

Brownie: "I'd marry you all over again!" 

Blueberry muffins: "I looooove yoooouuuuu!" 

Pesach sponge cake: "Damn, girl!" 

This strategy swings both ways. Han's brother likes to bake too, so he'll be a'wooing with ease. 

Suck at baking? Can't cook to save your life? No problem! Enlist the help of a friend who does like to and make sure to never expressly lie to the object of your affections. "You seem like you could use a home cooked meal." "These were no trouble to whip up."

Hey, just give it a try. Like chicken soup (Han lives for chicken soup) it can't hurt.

No comments: