Wednesday, October 13, 2021

"Healthy" is Relative

"These ices don't even have a lot of sugar," he said cheerfully. "It's only 20 grams. A yogurt has 20 grams!" 

I spluttered in outrage. "20 grams is a lot of sugar! Just because there's 20 grams in flavored yogurt doesn't make it healthy! PLAIN yogurt is healthy!" 

Later: "This non-dairy cheese is made from sunflower oil! Sunflower oil is healthy!" he says cheerfully, while tearing into slice after slice. 

I nearly started crying. Yes, if oil is needed to cook, sunflower oil is a healthy oil, but not to just recreationally chow down. Especially since this guy has no issues with dairy, and could have munched on actual cheese. 

I remember reading about a woman who actually majored in nutrition, but when she graduated she still didn't know what constituted as "healthy." Her courses went into the science and biology of the body consuming nutrition, but not how that translated into a beneficial menu.

Because it's pretty darn hard. Studies come out every few minutes debunking previously accepted "fact." I recently picked up a "healthy" cookbook that had been published in 2000. Inside, there was a brownie recipe with no oil, only applesauce, that I found initially promising. But the recipe called for 2 cups of sugar, which I think is a lot considering the small dimensions of the cake. 

Then I realized that when the book was published, fats were the villain. Later, carbs would become the bad guy. In today's day and age, the recommendation would be to focus more on "healthy" fats to help process sugar better, as opposed to it hitting your bloodstream and causing a sugar high, then crash. 

I've tried to stay current. I'm also aware that some diets are healthy for some people, while some are not for others. Celiacs have to be careful with certain ingredients, diabetics with others, colitis sufferers with others. I myself, following a round of antibiotics five years ago, have a trashed stomach and have to work with around a  low FODMAP diet; then my acid reflux restricts my diet further. But each of those diets aren't necessarily healthy for everyone, only for those with those conditions. 

A diabetic was asking if I ever used monkfruit, but since I am not (BH!) diabetic, I see no need to introduce it to my repertoire. I'd rather use real sugar, and be judicious with it. 

Online, there are always epic battles to the death over what is "healthy." 

"Fruit is a healthy dessert." 

"NO IT'S NOT! Fruit is FULL of SUGAR!" 

"But it's healthy sugar!" 

"SUGAR is SUGAR!!!" 

I can't handle all that drama. 

Personally, I have a few ingredients that I try to stay away from. I learned in my teen years that white flour doesn't like me, so I don't use it. When I learned that non-dairy whip is pure trans fat, I can't even look at it. Even though the various coconut offerings are popular—coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut sugar, coconut aminos, coconut flakes, coconut yogurt, coconut water—I hate the taste of coconut, so no coconut has crossed my threshold. 

They say, "Everything in moderation," For me that means: I don't demonize carbs. I don't demonize fats. I don't demonize sugar. I try to consume them all in moderation, as these three still are necessary for the body (okay, I physically don't need sugar, but mentally I definitely do).  

So I smile wryly and shake my head wearily as someone merrily posts a "healthy" recipe, because for me her offering is not very "healthy." At this point, "healthy" is in the eye of the beholder.  

No comments: