Wednesday, August 1, 2018

The One, the Only, BUNDT CAKE!

This cake guaranteed my survival in elementary school. Knowing that I, and I alone, had access to the recipe, my classmates knew they needed me alive. 

In fourth grade I decided to be generous (I don't know why, they didn't deserve it) and brought in individual baggies, each containing a sacred slice, to be given out on my birthday.  

When I carried in the brimming bekelah and silently tucked it into my cubbie, the class was buzzing. "Is it . . .?" "Do you think . . .?" "It IS!" "Morah, please, can she give it out now?"

Because of me, there were 10-year-olds who knew what a Bundt pan was. 

The current version is not remotely similar to that original, however. Over the years, an enterprising aunt experimented to make it "healthier"; less oil, less flour, and so forth.  

The version that remains a constant presence in my freezer is adored by child and adult alike, excepting Luke, who boycotted it since 1997 once orange juice was removed from the ingredient list. 

The below picture is not of a standard Bundt pan, and there is good reason for that. When the family fridge was updated to a side-by-side, the new freezer could not accommodate the Tupperware that contained the typical Bundt shape. Therefore, Ma bought a loaf pan version of the Bundt style. I think I prefer it, actually. Slicing is much easier. 

I will suggest that you peruse the notes on the bottom. The below recipe is when it is done with standard white flour, but the notations will explain the alterations necessary for whole wheat pastry flour (Arrowhead Mills is best).

Remember: With great power comes great responsibility. 

Bundt Cake

6 eggs
2 cups sugar
one tablespoon (heaping) vanilla sugar
Splash vanilla extract
1 cup oil*
2 cups flour**
2 teaspoons baking powder***

Beat the eggs, sugars, and vanilla. Beat in oil. Add dry ingredients, but mix only until just combined. Spray bundt pan generously with baking spray (like Baker's Joy). Pour over into a bundt pan, leaving about a third of the batter in the bowl. 

Add the remaining batter:

1 tablespoon cocoa
2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoon warm water****
sprinkle vanilla sugar 

Taking the new chocolate batter, pour along the center of the cake.

Bake at 350 degree oven (or 310 convection) for 45 minutes to an hour, depending on the oven. Check with a toothpick. Allow to cool before removing from pan. If it was well-sprayed, the cake should fly out no problem. 

*Half of the oil in cake recipes can be replaced with unsweetened apple sauce. By happy chance, the snack packs are usually exactly 1/2 cup. (I get mine from Trader Joe's.)

**The recipe above is for regular white flour, but for years it has been made with whole wheat. Not any whole wheat flour; specifically, Arrowhead Mills Organic Pastry Flour. In my experience, it is the lightest and fluffiest.

***This is very important: When using whole wheat flour, omit baking powder. That was learned the hard way. ("Why is there cake all over the oven?") 

****I've been remiss when doing this recipe, as I haven't added the warm water to the chocolate. Oops. But everyone still loves it. I've even just added cocoa, no sugar either. No complaints so far. But if one is not a fan of chocolate (!) feel free to skip this step.  

Final tip: In my family, cakes live in the freezer (I don't like cake at room temp. Feels unnatural). My nephew refers to it as "cold cake," a term Han lovingly adopted.
 

If you also like your cake frozen, here's a little secret: If you take the cake out a little bit early, the center will remain divinely gooey. Then, when frozen, it's like there's an ice cream center. Not too early, mind. Keep an eye on it from the 45 minute mark.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally plan to make this for Shabbos!
I'm not a major baker, though, I never heard of a Bundt loaf pan. Is there a certain brand of store you could recommend?

Princess Lea said...

The recipe was originally meant for a typical Bundt pan. My mother found a loaf version years ago, and I bought backups online at that time, but haven't been able to find anything recently.

Anonymous said...

Just to report back, I made it tonight and it came out great! I'm still gonna be on the lookout for a loaf bundt pan, though. Your cake looked so pretty and perfect in the pic:)

Princess Lea said...

Anon: Awesome! Thanks!