Monday, January 25, 2021

Ribbis

A few weeks ago I read an article about ribbis. The article had a few examples as to what constitutes ribbis, which I found fascinating. 

If you borrow an item, with the understanding that you are borrowing the item, you do not go beyond the borrowing. Meaning, if you borrowed a used item from someone and repaid them with a new item, that is ribbis. Further gestures of gratitude are, in many cases, ribbis. 

I rarely borrow items because I find it too stressful. I feel incredibly beholden to the lender that they entrusted me with an item of theirs, and because of that, it's a millstone around my neck. 

But according to the premise of ribbis, there is no need to be beholden. It's very matter-of-fact about it. You needed something. Another lent it to you. It's ok. It's fine. Calm down. 

I find the underlying message is that nothing really belongs to us anyway; if you are willing to lend it to another, you shouldn't make them feel forever in your debt. Nor should they feel like they were done this massive favor that they must keep repaying forever and beyond. 

I'm liking this. 

No comments: