Wednesday, February 10, 2021

The Goofy. The Quirky. The You.

I am still working my way through Miranda, and there was a few episode arc that I loved. 

Miranda has caught the eye of a reporter, Mike. He asks her out, and on it she invariably does a Miranda—something goofy that makes her get odd looks from people. Like if someone says something that happens to be a song lyric, she has to belt out the whole song. 

Once she's finished her ballad, she waves goodbye to Mike and leaves. Because of course he won't be interested in her now. 

But he is. He comes back to her store, starry-eyed, breathing, "So quirky." 

In the next episode, Miranda still attempts to tone down her Miranda-ness because of course he won't stay interested in her. She manages until she doesn't (in front of his father), at which point he sighs in relief. He was wondering where his quirky girl had gone. 

Yes, this is television, and a sitcom at that, but I assure you, dear audience, that life is very much like this. 

For those who have been in the dating trenches, how often were you told not to be "yourself"? (Raising both my hands.) Frankly, it's too much work to suppress the real me. Yes, a good number of guys bolted in horror, but Han says I have "simchas hachayim." 

Han can be his real self with me, and I can be my real me with him. And it's fun. Because it turns out, we can both be goofy. 

No comments: