Monday, November 1, 2021

Shidduch Lit: Playing With Matches

I belong to a few online groups to help with book recommendations. What to read after exhausting favorite authors, that sort of thing. One suggestion looked cute: Playing With Matches by Suri Rosen. Despite the orthodox content, it was actually available on my library network!

But I was wary. OK, why wary? I'll be honest, I've read few books by frum authors that didn't somehow disappoint. Clunky, not flowy, you get the drift. 

I made a request for a stack of books from my local library, and chucked that one in too. Why not give it a try? 

The first book from my haul, by a best-seller name with rave reviews, was unreadable. The prose was stilted and saccharine. I had to put it down after 15 pages. I rarely put books down. 

I then picked up Playing With Matches, and the contrast was amazing. Rosen's words flow pleasantly, even humorously! The plot can be a little farfetched at times, but it doesn't matter. Every time I had to stop reading I was itching to continue. It was a sheer delight. 

Playing with Matches by Suri Rosen

Rosen, very smartly, doesn't overplay the orthodox card. The characters are frum, but very little is overtly said in terms of observance. Shabbos is matter-of-factly mentioned in passing. As for the dating system, again, no apologies, this is how we do it people, moving on. 

It's simply a story, and the characters happen to be religious. It's more about bein adam l'chaveiro then bein adam l'Makom, and the importance of owning our actions, which is a good message.

No comments: