Monday, June 7, 2021

Gee, Thanks

As we now emerge from our hermit-like existences, I am now being thrust once again into socializing. I miss being a hermit. 

"Soooooooo," she said, a relative's friend, who is barely an acquaintance to me, "how are you adjusting to mommy-hood?"

I blink. "Well," I replied, motioning to the kinfauna nearby, "I had lots of practice." 

She did not retreat. "Even so!" she insisted, "It must be a big adjustment."

Let's just say this interaction did not leave me feeling warm and fuzzy inside. 

  

1) Like, she has kids. Nearly everyone in this room has kids. No one is on the floor sobbing, "I can't take it anymore!"   

2) Does she ask this of all new mothers? Or just me, the one who got married "late" and had a baby "late"? Does she put this inquiry to a new 21-year-old mother who is still going to school while juggling a day job? 

3) Did I look that bad? I rather prided myself on my appearance that day, that my Shabbos makeup remained intact as I hadn't slept in it in, well, over a year. 

4) Did I look hapless and unprepared? I had brought with me a bag of entertainment for Ben, including books and various kitchen utensils that he enjoys to chew on. I was rather proud of myself for that. 

5) Ben is 2 years old. It's not like he's fresh off the assembly line. 

Comments never end, people. Comments never end.  

No comments: