Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Motherless Mommies

Abigail Tucker wrote a piece on how the presence of one's mother is invaluable while mothering, even citing a number of studies how the lack of a maternal Babi can be detrimental, and her presence to be beneficial. 

Until I had read that article, I thought I was doing ok. Not only have I been grappling with babies since I was a tween, I was also heavily exposed to Ma's many opinions on the matter. Additionally, if I need to ask a mommy about why Ben is suddenly not sleeping, I have a sister and sister-in-laws' to interrogate, which I do. 

But this piece seemed to be insisting that I need Ma's presence, that her support is vital. Well duh, I would prefer to have her around, but it's not like I have a choice, right? 

Apparently, another reader had that same thought, a woman who wrote a book about grandmotherless mothering, and her letter insisted that such mothers do a quite fine job, thank you very much. 

It was probably not Tucker's intent to make the motherless moms feel sucky, but to rather invite mothers to become closer with their own mothers, to see them as a help instead of a hindrance. But she indirectly jabbed those who do not have their own mommies to help. 

Then I read a heartbreaking Modern Love by


No comments: