Friday, November 11, 2016

TGIF

This clock change is very inconsiderate. For weeks (probably until it springs forward) I'll be awakening (against my will) at 4:30. If I hop out of bed then my internal alarm will remain fused to that schedule, so I must remain under the covers until my brain catches up with the rest of the world. 

Yet what to do under there? Perfect opportunity to focus on a shiur. 

Earlier this week, I tuned into this fascinating one by Rabbi Daniel Glatstein (I had heard it last year, but my recall isn't as sharp as it used to be). It's a fun listen, but for those (singles) who are short on time, the last few minutes (at the 50 min mark) are a pleasant boost.   

2 comments:

Daniel Saunders said...

I have the reverse problem - in the winter I start feeling sleepy about 4pm.

Thanks for the link. I didn't have time to listen to the whole thing (maybe during the week), but I started where he was talking about reincarnation. Now, I've been thinking a lot about that recently. Things have been very tough for me lately. In all the years I've had mental health issues, I can only remember it being this bad for this long on one occasion. As something of a rationalist, I've never taken reincarnation very seriously before, but lately I've been wondering if my mental health issues are so serious and intractable because I'm being punished for something terrible I did in another lifetime. This quickly became another excuse to beat myself up, as I imagined myself as a kapo or an informer to the inquisition. So it was interesting to hear a different, more positive, perspective on it.

Shavua tov!

Princess Lea said...

I'm not into gilgalim either; the concept of it, should it exist or should it not, is too beyond our mere mortal minds (at 49 he talks about it, at 50 it's over). The Chovos Halevavos bit was better, in my opinion.