Monday, January 20, 2020

Learning Kindness

I'm wondering when I'll finally get over having been an "older single." I still identify as such, even though I officially left the moniker behind more than two years ago. 

I have recently been filled with feelings of . . . well, I'm not sure how to put it. 

I was single. I was dating for over a decade. Han showed up when he was supposed to show up. 

So, I could have spent those years feeling the way I wanted to feel, that Hashem has my man tucked away somewhere and when the time is right He'll produce him. In the meantime, therefore, I should simply be.  

But that wasn't allowed. Because whenever I tried to invoke Him, I was told, "No, you have to do your hishtadlus." Yet, what is hishtadlus? It means different things to different people. 

1. It means cold-calling "shadchanim." 
2. It means going out with every guy who's suggested. 
3. It means going to singles events. 
4. It means tackling every male within site and demanding marriage or else they will never draw breath again. 

When I executed as much "hishtadlus" that I felt comfortable with, and was still single, we moved on to other territory: What I must be doing wrong.  

I wish I could say I was confident enough to ignore the naysayers, but I wasn't. I would blog about it, listing proofs as to my normalcy, pleading with my audience to concur that I wasn't a freak, right?  

Either way, finding a spouse was on me: I wasn't doing enough hishtadlus and/or I was a nutter who cleaned her toes during a lobby date. 

I could have been more chillaxed in that time, instead of battling breathing-into-a-paper-bag anxiety. I could have seen my life as more than "pathetically single" and, perhaps, have utilized my time differently. Maybe I would have gotten into sourdough earlier. 

I'm doing that annoying 20/20 hindsight thing. Based on parental hopes alone, I would have still been a nervous wreck. But did others have to rub it in? To make me feel like you-know-what? 

Sigh. 

I suppose one thing I have certainly learned is that whenever that judgy inner voice starts piping that it's "their fault," I shut it down. Or try to, at least, which is more than I used to do before. I think I have become a kinder person after being subjected to wagging fingers for a decade. Everyone has their own burdens. Whether it's their fault or not is besides the point. 

So let's be kind.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true.
Another thing to add to the list: learning not to casually comment (even if not outright gossip) on personal painful things others are dealing with, even if they are not around and have no clue.
Because you know people have done that about you, and you know how crummy it feels.
Just being more aware of others having the sensitivity to validate others when needed, simply by listening and not jumping in to give unasked for advice!

~Miriam said...

Thank you! I linked to your post here:
https://www.facebook.com/Bashertable/posts/131666031688534
This blog post really resonates with me, and encourages me to fully trust Hashem and to live in the moment that is being gifted to me.
Make yourself Bashertable! Together, we'll make sure your shidduch profile features the information, wording and formatting to help you shine.

Princess Lea said...

Wow! I'm flattered!