Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Contouring, Updated

When I tackled contouring last year, I recommended using a matte bronzer for contouring the cheekbones. 

But, I sheepishly admit, bronzer tends to have orange undertones, in order to replicate a sun-given crispiness. Ideally, the product used for contouring cheekbones should recreate shadow. Shadow is not orange. 

Messing about on Sephora, I stumbled across Kevyn Aucoin The Sculpting Powder, and the reviews enthused that its taupe-y undertones perfectly replicates a shadow effect. (Of course, a week after I gleefully bought it I was bombarded with a 15% off VIB promotion. Gaaah.)
http://c3.q-assets.com/images/products/p/kac/kac-256_1z.jpg
At around the same time, T.J. Maxx had restocked the beauty section with a twinkling supply of "Buy me!" products, and I grabbed a Precision Beauty Angled Blush Brush and ran. I managed to accumulate a cluster of brushes for contouring that did not live up to its promises, and this one has made me quite happy.
 http://pics2.ds-static.com/prodimg/516026/500.JPG
The Sculpting Powder looks dark, but it is the perfect contouring shade. It is very pigmented, so with a mere brush of the bristles against the powder, my cheekbones are supermodel-y defined. I may not have inherited Babi's bone structure, but I can fake it. 

I'm sensing some dirty looks regarding the price ($44!), but please be patient with the gal who lives at home and B'H has very few expenses. But, to redeem myself, I provide a drugstore alternative: NYX Powder Blush in Taupe. Disclaimer: I have not tried it, but most drugstores have a cosmetic return policy.      


If I have an event, I take it a step further by contouring my nose. The cute gal in the above video shows how. But keep in mind that one can contour the nose without contouring the eyes. I like brightness in my inner eye.

I'm using up the bronzer that I have during the week (I also have another in storage), saving the KA for Shabbos and simchos. 

No comments: