Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Place for Mindfulness

My niece is always looking toward the next thing. She could be in middle of a really fun activity, but then begins to badger me with, "What are we doing next?" 

I get annoyed (reasonably, don't you think?) as she is pushing aside the pleasantness of the present by fretting about the future. She would benefit from some "mindfulness" training. 

Yet what if someone is in middle of a really unfun activity, like vacuuming or scrubbing the bathroom? Is "mindfulness" really to her advantage? Is "being in the moment" going to make her happier while pre-treating laundry? Wouldn't day-dreaming be more beneficial, if not more likely to provide a "Eureka!" moment? 

Ruth Whippman attacks the "mindfulness" movement by pointing out that it is a uniquely human ability to think outside the present. She is also irritated by the self-help movement that promotes it, as they seem to claim that there is no problem that cannot be rethought in a more glowing light, rather than finding a solution that problem. 
 http://www.fromtheleftfield.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/mindful-funny.jpg
However, I think "being in the moment" has its place. Like instructing my niece that she should flipping enjoy what she's doing now, or else we'll never do anything fun together ever again, got it, sweetie? *Cough*

Also, there is beauty in everyday life that can be overlooked when we don't pay attention. When doing a neutral activity, like taking a walk. There are interesting scenes to witness, as long as we aren't busy texting. 
Whereas, there are difficult times in life when floating through unreality is a lifesaver. 

2 comments:

Altie said...

Thanks for the share. I enjoyed reading that article. I actually agree with Ruth, sometimes it really sucks to be in the moment and the only way to get through is to look forward to something better, if you can see it.

Regarding spending time with your niece, that's interesting because I have a hard time enjoying my time with my nieces and nephews, especially when they want me to give them piggyback rides and pick them up and soon then around and play on my phone and I think, great when will this be over. So sometimes, it is hard to stay in the moment no matter how hard you try.
I'll keep trying though, cuz they're pretty darn cute even if they're annoying sometimes.

Thanks for sharing!

Princess Lea said...

Well, I do confess this niece can be pretty exhausting. You made me realize that mindfulness goes both ways . . . naughty auntie am I!