Wednesday, July 11, 2018

PL's Day Out

I've been waiting a long time for this: My sister asked for me to take her to Sephora!
https://i0.wp.com/blog.thestorefront.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Sephora1.jpg?fit=810%2C540&ssl=1
Before, she relied on me for makeup, but she used up all her stock. I gleefully hustled her in. 

"OK, what first?" I asked, my enthusiasm bubbling over.

"I need more primer, Laura Mercier, I think." We went to the Laura Mercier display. "No, wait," she amended. "It was Benefit." Then she spied another brand. "Or was it Nars?" 

Oh dear. "Let's move on to what we know," I hastily intervened. 

"The Kat von D makeup," she said promptly. "It is the best. Amazing coverage, and lasts."  

"It is! But many don't realize it has to be bounced on with a damp makeup sponge. They try to apply with their hands or a brush but it'll go on too thick. Cool! They came out with a bunch of new shades. The other color was too dark for you." We settled on Light 43. 

"Mascara! Do you have lash primer? No. OK, so Iconic Overcurl and the Maximizer. Although I tried a sample of a different one and I think I like it. But be aware the Iconic Overcurl is awesome, it'll clump if you sleep in it on Friday night." 

In the basket it went, anyway. "Lipstick?" 

"I'm not so into matte. I like it more satin-y."

"Smashbox Be Legendary doesn't go on so matte yet it lasts." 

While we were there: "The primer! It was Smashbox!" 

"Are you sure?" 

"No."  

Moving on. They didn't have any Smashbox lipstick in pink shades in this Sephora. Who else, then? 

"I'm not sure about other satin lipsticks that'll last . . ."

"Eh, I don't need it to last." Nars Audacious Lipstick in Claudia, then. 

"Back to primer. Maybe Hourglass? Oooh, you must get the Ambient Powder in Diffused Light! You'll friggin' GLOW. You dust it on all over after applying everything. Ah! Their Primer Serum. I definitely got you this once. Maybe." 

"Kinda pricey." 

"Yes. But if it doesn't work, re-turn-aaaaable!" I sang. 

"Then what do I have to lose?" she chucked it in to the basket. 


"Yep." 

Then I painted her for a wedding that night, using also the eye palette I had insisted she get a few months back. 'Cause it has grays, which is perfect for blue eyes.
https://beautyessential.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/silver-teal-makeup-for-blue-eyes.jpg
Not this dramatic.
Since she doesn't usually like as a dramatic eye as I do, I tentatively applied with a light hand. Three times she peered in the mirror and requested more dark in the crease. I was kvelling. 

When I moved to her lips, I brandished a lip pencil and lip brush

"Lip pencil? It's not the '90s anymore." 

"It's not for a look. You won't even see it. It's a guideline, so you can get the fullest lips possible." 

After I finished buffing, brushing, painting, and dusting, she looked fabbo, if I say so myself. And she felt fabbo. 

What a lame superpower I have. But I'll take it. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there a difference in the All Night setting spray and re-read slick setting spray (which is what I currently have)? They're both by urban decay.

Anonymous said...

*that should be "de slick" setting spray

Princess Lea said...

The De-Slick is designed to control oil, while the All Nighter is not. I haven't tried it yet - does it do a good job?

Anonymous said...

Well, my face definitely doesn't get oily, so I guess it works! However, it doesn't really "stay" my make-up...so depends on what you need. I plan to try the All Night spray, though, so thanks for the rec!

Sefardi Gal said...

Dearest Princess Lea,

can you please come do my make-up??
I did not understand half of this post. Shows you how behind the times I am :)

Speaking of behind the times, this is the first time I'm reading your blog in a long time. Read some old posts and saw that you BH are married. Wishing you a (belated) huge MAZAL TOV!! Wishing you and your husband much happiness and shalom bayit!

Also read about your mother's passing. I am so sorry :(

Wishing you only simchas. May HaShem always shower you with blessings,

Sefardi Gal

Princess Lea said...

Hi, Sweetie!

I saw your recent post, and I was so happy for you. I also feel so close to you in a way, that your bashert came at a time when he was needed the most - like mine did.

Baruch tihiyeh! Thank you for your lovely brachos.

If it's any consolation, my sister doesn't understand me either. The contouring really throws her for a loop. ;)