Monday, November 24, 2014

Vitamin C!

Sailors of yester-year would suffer crippling illnesses due to a lack of vitamin C; all they needed was a shot of lemon juice to return them to duty. Vitamin C (a.k.a. ascorbic acid) is vital to tissue repair; that's why produce-deprived sailors pretty much fell apart.

Vitamin C is necessary for collagen, the means by which the body rebuilds itself. Collagen? I know collagen! That's the stuff I need to keep my facial skin plump and wrinkle-free. 
http://www.vitagen.com.sg/images/what_is_collagen/collagen.png
Eating foods high in vitamin C is great, but you can up your game with topical products. Apparently, when applied under SPF daily, vitamin C helps prevent hyperpigmentation and further havoc as well as correcting damage.

When I heard that, I went vitamin C shopping! 

The first I bought was an Amazon best-seller, Pure Body Naturals Vitamin C Serum. It's light-weight, sinks in easily with no residue, and my skin does look happier.

I have, however, for backup, another Amazon best-seller, one by OZ Naturals. I like to experiment. 
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CgXDhvGyL._SS400_.jpg
In the mornings, I don't cleanse my face; I swipe it with a cotton round soaked in homemade toner composed of water and apple cider vinegar. Following, I apply the serum all over my face, including my neck and eye area. After allowing it to sink in (it doesn't take long), I then apply my SPF products. 

All sorts of companies have spewed forth SPFs paired with C, like The Body Shop, Ole Henrikson, and Murad, but I prefer the serum option. There are a plethora available on Amazon; I may have to try them all. 

Vitamin C doesn't have to be applied only by day; it is a great nighttime treatment option as well. It can also be used in conjuction with other anti-agers, like retinol and AHA.     

2 comments:

Daniel Saunders said...

'Twas the use of citrus fruits to stop scurvy in the British navy that gained the English the nickname of Limeys. (I thought this might interest you!)

Princess Lea said...

That is priceless.