Monday, February 22, 2016

Winter Squash

In short order, the Friday afternoon Shabbos prep has a new favorite: the squashes.

We're talking spaghetti, sweet dumpling, delicata, pumpkin, kabocha, and butternut (I left out acorn since the one and only one I tried wasn't very sweet. We'll work our way back to each other on a later date). And I haven't even yet tried the buttercup and golden nugget.

These guys are dope—delicious, nourishing, accommodating, and plays so well with others. Just stab 'em all over with a knife, shove 'em into the oven from anywhere 350 degrees up, and when a fork goes in easily, they can come on out. 

If feeling more up to a sawing challenge, hack 'em in half first, scrape out the seeds, then drizzle in oil with some salt n' peppa.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj_uPh6-dQxXM6t2e-_BVOcFyGRCCVnHD7iuElQ0hqoiSrYuD2UU3YNf5nc_Ss4UsSkxKRf4G6xgSbIC7xrr2gngLVh46ktgstAwaCV8cTpr1jG5yvyoAWRy_pJ1p2N5b-n9cNVW_9bRw/s1600/sqshplate.JPG
Via pamsmidwestkitchenkorner
Alternatively, if one's knives are up to the challenge, they can be sliced and sauteed in a pan, along with a tempting drizzle of maple syrup or honey. 

I end up attacking the results with the same fervor I used to inhale cake. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, squashes are a rad carb, and can be consumed in infinite amounts. Good, because that's what I've been doing. The sounds effects! I do moan.

If any don't end up being so sweet, I add it into my lunch soups, or saute with the now fridge-staple, lecsó

O, the options.      

No comments: