Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Fave Recipes II

1) My sister made this recipe for a Chanukah party, and I think I cleaned out the bowl with little help. I tracked down the recipe online after she listed for me the ingredients, but not the measurements: Quinoa Salad with Edamame.
Via applesartichokesasparagus.wordpress.com
I messed about with it, however. I mixed red quinoa together with the original (it came out so pretty and colorful). I opted out of the pine nuts and craisins (I didn't have the former, and felt the latter was unnecessary). Instead of red onion, which I find harsh and overpowering, I utilized a shallot. Additionally, I sauteed the diced peppers and shallot for a few minutes to soften. 

As for the white wine vinegar, I dug up light balsamic instead and the flavor remained lovely. Chances are other vinegars will work fine as well. 

Next time I would like to cut back a little on the olive oil and see if that alters anything considerably.

2) I've posted about the ratatouille that was inaccurately labeled lecsó under our roof; here is the real stuff. When I tried it one Sunday morning with red and yellow bell peppers, both Ma and Ta practically teared up at the fond childhood memories it brought to the surface. As Zsuzsa's follow-up informs, mushrooms are also welcome.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_qNzS_rXPDRU/TL3rcmfGz6I/AAAAAAAACNE/Utf0RjlHQXs/s1600/hungarian+ratatuille.JPG
Via zsuzsa is in the kitchen.blogspot.com
I happen to like both the ratatouille and the lecsó cold; to me, there is some sort of flavor that is present when slightly chilly as opposed to warm. The mushroom-pepper version was served at room temp for a Shabbos meal and was quite tasty. 

However, Zsuzsa's cooking steps were not followed exactly. The onions were sliced into thin half-moons, not diced. The paprika was placed early in the oil to infuse, rather than later. Instead of tomatoes, I used a little Pomi. The peppers were diced into bite-sized pieces. Also, the lecsó was simmered longer than her recipe dictates, since we are fans of melded flavors and stew-like consistencies.

3) This one is a little more complicated than I'm used to, but I found it yummy-licious. Since most of her recipes involve pork topped by Parmesan, it's rare that one of Lidia Bastianich's recipes are kosher-friendly. But her Melanzane Ripiene (Meat-Stuffed Eggplant) is up for Jewish experimentation.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjqApjFAz_irANQkFzV1p254lIRTdMh5Ng9Dshp2s-XRJsIHU1k7J6793FVVOpbb_ltkm_iJYwvMVmxp-8y-BIIt0i-32p0ijLjf2C-3Vn8ZXvkougBwFK_2kQqn2nsNnRNlrO10FvcMYQ/s1600/eggplants+stuffed+042.JPG
Via http://sundayatthegiacomettis.blogspot.com/2012/04/melanzane-ripiene-stuffed-eggplants.html
While searching for a linkable version of her recipe, I came across another in the process that was less ungepachkit, sans chazzer and cheese (and is also Pesachdik). Lidia's has breadcrumbs, eggs, tomatoes, and a red pepper, but I can bet this alternate version is quite tasty without it.

Sprinkling with nutritional yeast would give an acceptable cheesy flavor. Another option, which I did, would be to paint it with the same glaze that I used on the Salisbury Steak.            

No comments: