Monday, June 18, 2018

Austen's Answer to Magic

I'm rather embarrassed that I've been sitting on this recommendation for, oh, years. Never got around to to it. 

I'm not a serious fantasy reader. Even though I do like sci-fi, I'm not keen on the book forms, usually, excepting a few rare writers (Lois McMaster Bujold. That's about it).

I read Harry Potter, of course. I'm a slave to Game of Thrones (paper, not screen version. George R.R. better give me the last two books, although at this rate I forgot who everyone is and I'll have to reread them). 

Years ago I picked up Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell in Costco. It's a huge tome. Susanna Clarke created an alternate reality in Regency England, as well extremely detailed "historical" footnotes. It took her twelve years to write. You can tell. 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/4/4d/Jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell_cover.jpg/220px-Jonathan_strange_and_mr_norrell_cover.jpg
BBC adapted it a few years ago, and I think it was excellently done. Although, of course, the book is better. Isn't it always? 

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/articles/arts/television/2015/06/12/150612_television_mrnorellereview.jpg.CROP.promo-mediumlarge.jpg

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love regencies but somehow couldn't get into this book. I didn't know there was a movie version, though, so maybe I'll give it a try. I usually like the BBC adaptations.

Princess Lea said...

It took me a while to get into initially. But then I actually re-read it, twice! But the adaptation is quite nice.