Monday, October 15, 2018

Shidduch Flicks

1. Remember when I was gushing about TooYoungToTeach's book recommendation, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? So Netflix has a movie adaptation of it. 
https://i1.wp.com/www.thelastking.net/presshere/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/LKP-GLAPPPS-CAST.jpg?fit=960%2C540&ssl=1
My initial reaction was EEEEEEEE!, and I may have talked myself into staying home sick (I kid, I was actually sick as a dog) in order to watch it. 

You will enjoy it if you haven't read the book first. Books tend to ruin movie adaptations (any exceptions, please let me know). 

There was so much more delicious backstory and character development in the book that I was left wanting after the credits rolled. Yet I must honestly mark it as a "Shidduch Flick," right? 

2. I have wanted to see Rama Burshtein's second film, The Wedding Plan, for a long time now. It helped that there was a glowing NY Times review. Now available on Amazon Prime!
https://dallasfilmnow.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/dfn-theweddingplan-720.jpg?w=1739&h=720&crop=1
I was ensnared by the opening scene, when the 32-year-old Michal meets with a—well, I'm not sure. Ayin hara lady? Kabbalist? Mystic?

The woman asks her bluntly, while performing a kinda gross ritual that I hope is not remotely based in Judaism: What do you want? 

Michal answers standard responses: I want to get married. I don't want to be alone. Love. To please God. To each, the kabbalist scoffs and says, "Stop lying." 

Eventually pushed, Michal bursts out: "I want to be normal. I want to be respected. I want people to respect me because I have a spouse. I'm sick of feeling humiliated."

She becomes so overwrought in this freeing honesty she can't stop: "I want to invite people over for Shabbat. I'm sick of being invited. I want to make Shabbat with a man. I don't want to be alone anymore. I want someone to sing to me. I'm sick of being handicapped. I want stability. I want to live. I want to give and I want to receive. I want to love and be loved back."

This scene spoke to me as, for many of us, it's true. It's not only about being lonely or love or fulfilling a mitzvah. It's also about belonging, not standing out in a "nebachdik" way. Our world doesn't permit singleness past a ridiculously young age—and singles are just so flipping tired of being viewed as abnormal freaks. 

Perhaps that is why Michal becomes slightly unhinged when her engagement is called off. She has had enough; she's going forward with her wedding anyway, firm in her belief that if she books the hall, sends out the invites, and dons the gown, her chassan will show up, too. 

Han's nerves were shot. "This is a real nail-biter," he said worriedly, more than once. Michal is told that this is not how Judaism operates, but she still stubbornly plows forward. She is fierce yet vulnerable, and she doesn't apologize for who she is. I alternated between wanting to hug her and throttle her.

She doesn't just want a proposal. She wants, as she says, "the real deal." Not a marriage for the sake of marriage. She wants the whole loving package, by the 8th night of Chanukah.   

Will she get it?   

3 comments:

Daniel Saunders said...

Books tend to ruin movie adaptations (any exceptions, please let me know)

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and Blade Runner. Both very good, but the film is probably better. Or maybe its aesthetic just sits in my memory more (even though I re-read and re-watched both last year). But to be fair, although the film and book have broadly the same plot, they are pretty different as stories. Which I guess is a good demonstration that plot and story are not the same thing.

I've wanted to see that film for a while, but from the way you write about it, I'm not sure that I should. Whether she gets the husband or not, I guess it will be triggering for me. (And I dislike saying 'triggering' but what can you do?) You/she is right about 'normal' in the frum world and I'm pretty abnormal even without being an 'older single' (mental health issues, borderline autistic).

Anonymous said...

I liked the Guernsey movie, but thought it fell short of the book.

The Wedding Plan disappointed me, tbh. Maybe because I had higher expectations after having watched and really liked Fill the Void. I found the whole premise annoying...though I found her bad dates (sadly) true to life;)


Did you ever see the movie Arranged? It was a sweet, slice of life sort of movie. (It's currently on Amazon Prime. Definitely shidduch genre!! I believe either the producer of maybe writer is a frum woman.

Princess Lea said...

DS: "Blade Runner" was very absorbing, but I never read the book to compare it to.

Anon: It was definitely a very different sort of movie from "Fill the Void."

Yes, and I actually linked it! (So, so, SO long ago):

http://frumanista.blogspot.com/2012/01/we-all-know-fiddler-so-how-bout.html

I actually know the producer. Yes, she's frum.