Friday, January 10, 2014

The Perfect Balance

"Don't act so smart on a date," he says. Thank heaven he is not my father, but a curmudgeonly octogenarian. 

It seems I am stuck somewhere in the middle. Possessing, apparently, some intellect, I have been admonished from time to time not to display it. However, while there enough brainless females getting wed, the numbers are not disproportionately more than the:  

Doctors, lawyers, teachers, graphic artists, therapists, psychologists, etc, who are firmly on the way to their established careers. To excel in their fields, they must have book smarts, and yet they, too, happily meet the One. 

But I have not opted for a career. I have a job, yes, but not a career. It would seem that while my gray matter can be off-putting, my choice of employment can be as well. 
http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1386924775l/127722.jpg
For those gents who want me to rake it in to remove the burden of support, yet want me to have no brains: Think a minute.

4 comments:

aminspiration said...

I cant tell you how many times ive been told to not act so smart on dates..grr

Single on the Scene said...

lol! when I read the first line of this post, I couldn't help but think back to my brothers who are constantly asking me why I can't be like other girls and just smile and sip my drink instead of talking and being smart. I hear ya sista :)

Some Poems Don't Rhyme said...

Eh, be who you are and say what you feel because those who matter won't mind and those who mind don't matter. (Dr. Suess)

The right guy will appreciate your intellect and intelligence.

Princess Lea said...

(Raises drink) To all of us incapable of simpering!