Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pucker Up

"Look, here comes the chosson!" 

My niece is very young, about 4, and she hasn't been to a wedding before. By the badeken I hauled her up so she could see the proceedings. I was rattling off incoherent descriptions of what was going on.

"See? There the chosson puts on the veil, because of Yaakov and Rochel, then her father comes up and benches her, then his father, then her Zeidy. . ." 

Wonder widens her baby-blue eyes as she gazes at the bashful bride, smiling demurely as the groom takes a swift moment to murmur in her ear. He then steps back so his father-in-law can place his hands on his daughter's head. 

"When do they kiss?" she asks in disappointment.
http://www.occupationgifts.com/media/2515-bride-groom-salt-pepper-shaker1.jpg
My whoop of laughter turned some heads, and I don't think I was able to properly explain to her the modesty standards that differ from Disney. 

And this is the kid with restricted television access. 

2 comments:

Daniel Saunders said...

The difficulties of being a sub-culture...

Not relevant, but I thought you might appreciate this Pearls Before Swine cartoon: http://www.gocomics.com/pearlsbeforeswine/2014/04/17#.U1Ebo1d78Sw

Princess Lea said...

"NO THERE AREN'T!"

That's right. Definitely appreciated.