Monday, November 23, 2015

"So Happy For You!"

The Big Bang Theory, "The Bon Voyage Reaction"

Stephen Hawking is sending an expedition to the North Sea to test his theories; one of the experimental physicists dropped out, giving Leonard the opportunity. 

From the beginning, Sheldon has been attempting to talk Leonard out of it; in typical Sheldon fashion, he predicts doom, citing the possible hazards of boat travel, even going so far has to hint how the four-month separation might affect Penny's affection for Leonard. 

Sheldon continues to sulk; Leonard believes it is because Sheldon is terrible with change, and worries about him. But it's Penny who calls him on it: 

Sheldon: You know, I have to say, Penny, I don’t understand why you of all people are encouraging Leonard to do this. 

Penny: Honey, this is a big deal for Leonard, okay? He gets to work with Stephen Hawking. Who, by the way, will not be on the boat. I checked it out. 

Sheldon: It’s not that big of an opportunity. And even if Hawking’s theories are correct, all they prove is where the universe came from, why everything exists and what its ultimate end will be. I mean, me? I’m interested in the big questions. 

Penny: Oh, my God, Sheldon the genius is jealous of Leonard. 

Sheldon: I’m not jealous. I’m just very unhappy that good things are happening for him and not happening for me. 

Penny: Look, sweetie, this is a natural thing to feel, okay? But just because good things are happening to Leonard doesn’t take anything away from you. You know what? Let me tell you a little story. Once there was a girl who worked at the Cheesecake Factory, and she wasn’t very good at her job. 

Sheldon: It was you. 

Penny: It wasn’t me. But she was also an actress, and we were both up for the same part in a toothpaste commercial. She got it. Look, I was so jealous. But instead of ripping out her fake blonde hair… 

Sheldon: You ripped out your own fake blonde hair. 

Penny: I looked her in the eye, smiled and said, I’m happy for you. Because that’s what friends do. 

Sheldon: They lie so they don’t look petty. 

Penny: Yeah. 

Sheldon: How?

Penny: Like this. (Fake smiling) I am so happy for you.
http://i.onionstatic.com/avclub/4297/86/16x9/960.jpg
Sheldon: Wow. No wonder you didn’t get that toothpaste commercial.

Later, at Leonard's going away party: 

Sheldon: Um, can I have your attention, everyone? (Clinks glass) That’s, uh, B-flat, for those who don’t have perfect pitch. I would like to propose a toast to my best friend, Dr. Leonard Hofstadter. He has been presented with a wonderful opportunity, and I couldn’t be happier for him. 

Leonard: Thank you, Sheldon. That must’ve been very hard for you to say.

Sheldon: Well, I mean it. I’m really happy for you. And that’s how you get a toothpaste commercial. Cheers. 

For a better boost on being happy for others, I recommend this Chevi Garfinkel shiur (the link won't work unless you are a girl already in possession of a torahanytime account confirming that fact. Yeah, I know). 

9 comments:

Mr. Cohen said...

Palestinian Teen Girls Mistake 70-Year-Old Palestinian Man for An Israeli, Stab Him With Scissors:

www.foxnews.com/world/2015/11/23/israeli-police-say-palestinian-teen-girls-shot-after-stabbing-elderly-man/

Anonymous said...

I hope you're more current on BBT than the quoted episode... :-)

Did I ever mention that I met Chuck Lorie while wearing a BBT t-shirt one friday? It was pretty awesome. He told me that the saying on my shirt was his favorite episode. I told him what my favorite episode was, and he didnt remember it off hand.

Princess Lea said...

Yeeeeees, I'm more current. :P But I only got into it a couple of years ago, and the reruns are very educational.

What was the quote?

Anonymous said...

Good :-) I also got in late, but made made sure to go back & watch every episode. I think I got in during season 3. There's a great site called thedarewall.com/TV. You can stream pretty much every episode of every TV show ever from there for free. It's great for when you need to catch up on episodes you missed.

The shirt had a Sheldon quote: " I cry because people are stupid and it makes me sad". My favorite episode is where Sheldon tried learning Mandarin & gets into it with the guy at the Chinese restaurant :-)

Princess Lea said...

I love that quote.

Anonymous said...

:-) It is pretty awesome. I got the shirt as a holiday present last year together with a stuffed animal cat that sings soft kitty.

Have you ever seen the episode where Sheldon learns Mandarin?

Altie said...

The episode you are referring to: https://youtu.be/M24HNJv3FkU

I love Sheldon's lack of any filter or conversation etiquette. In the episode where he meets Stephen Hawking, he says to Penny: "When I correct people I am raising them up. You should know, I do it for you more than anyone." And to Leonard "I have never said that you are not good at what you do. It’s just that what you do is not worth doing."

Princess Lea said...

Prof: "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of furrrrrr."

Altie: "I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested."

Altie said...

:) I was gonna say that one, but it's too easy.