Monday, October 17, 2011

I Tried. I Really Tried.

It has become obvious that the Colorscience Sunforgettable Mineral Powder in Perfectly Clear is too dark for my skin tone. Before I give the lighter shade, All Clear, a shot, I wanted to try other available brands.  

BareMinerals is the highest rated and best selling mineral makeup out there, and I really wanted to like it. 
http://www.dionlabel.com/tl_files/dion/images/Ashley%27s%20Blog/Bare%20Minerals.jpg
I bought: 

Light: straight yellow. 
Golden Fair: too yellow. 
Fairly Light: too orange. 

They all went back. 

Then, I tried Korres Wild Rose Mineral Foundation
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/312ak3H8pWL._AA300_.jpg
Light: too dark.
Fair: too orange. 

Both went back. 

I was starting to feel what Jon Stewart sadly called John Boehner: "You misguided tangerine." 


I didn't give the Philosophy The Supernatural Airbrushed Canvas a second look because the lightest shade (warm ivory, or something like that) was straight brown.  
http://www.stylebakerybeauty.com/images/philosophy%20the%20supernatural%20airbrushed%20foundation.jpg
Clinique Superbalanced Powder Makeup was too dark as well. I was really bummed about that as I really like the idea of freshly-shaved makeup.

I do have a mineral makeup that is positively gorgeous, which is the Dior Diorskin Nude Natural Glow Face Powder Makeup in Light Beige 020. It's not even in the lightest shade available, yet with these other companies I cannot find something light enough.

It's odd, because I do not have porcelain white skin. Not remotely.

There are many makeup companies who are not able to  (or will not) accommodate some skin tones.When Calvin Klein first came out with makeup, Ma was told by the sales associates that she can do nothing for her porcelain white skin. Yes, there is prejudice against skin color amongst cosmetic companies.

I do not want to cheapen the divine effect of Dior  by buffing it on daily, and additionally I want a mineral makeup with a little more SPF to cover my bases. 

But after spending many cumulative hours in-store and online, I am near frustrated tears. 

I have one last option:  

Sephora Mineral Foundation Compact in D10.

Here goes . . .

With baited breath, I swish it on . . . 

Go out into sunlight . . . 

YEEEEEEEEEES! Victory! 
http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/victory.jpg

While previously I would have preferred a mineral makeup with at least SPF 30 for weekday, the Elta MD that I apply beneath keeps me covered. 

I buff it on with my drugstore-issue mineral foundation brush, and my face is actually now the same color as my neck! Ha ha! 

4 comments:

Fashion-isha said...

Adorable post...makeup is so individual! Glad you found one you liked!
xo
Sharon

Princess Lea said...

Makeup can be a tedious, frustrating saga . . . but it can really pay off in the end.

Chanalesings said...

great post, i am a concealer freak and also send bare minerals back! I love laura mercier and calvin klein these days!

Princess Lea said...

I used to have Laura Mercier but my skin falls in between - either it is too brown or too light. Calvin Klein had a mineral powder? I searched for new stuff constantly and he never came up!