Friday, January 6, 2012

The HM Complex

Harry: There are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance.
Sally: Which one am I?
Harry: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance. 
That is one of my favorite quotes from When Harry Met Sally.  I could watch that movie over and over; it contains so many truths about human nature. 
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51RGP0YGFSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I'm sure many take one look at me and think "high maintenance." I'm sure many of my readers will think "high maintenance." Dates have bolted thinking I am "high maintenance." I happen to not think of myself as "high maintenance."

But you wear makeup! You pursue clothing! You frantically preserve your skin! Guilty, guilty, aaaaaand guilty.

When I asked around how one qualifies as being HM, I received similar answers. The true HM is when someone needs other people to maintain them; manicurists, hair stylists, personal shoppers,  maids, etc. Whatever I do, I do relatively alone; my own nails, my own hair (unless it's a simcha), I shop sales, I can scrub a pot. HMers aren't willing to flow with "imperfection"; they need everything just so, and harass others to get what they want. 

Perhaps I am trying to convince myself, but I think I'll allow it. 

And the conversation continues: 
Harry: You're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you think you're low maintenance.
Sally: I don't see that.
Harry: You don't see that? Waiter, I'll begin with a house salad, but I don't want the regular dressing. I'll have the balsamic vinegar and oil, but on the side. And then the salmon with the mustard sauce, but I want the mustard sauce on the side. "On the side" is a very big thing for you.
Sally: Well, I just want it the way I want it.
Harry: I know; high maintenance.  
I'm in the clear!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome movie. There haven't been so many perfect scenes till Dogma. What? Am I the only one who loved that movie?

Princess Lea said...

(Cough). Um, I never saw "Dogma." That's the one with the angels, right?

guyinla said...

I really gotta see the movie, I've only seen clips on youtube. Maybe you're in between. You search for good prices and do it mostly on your own, but it's all gotta be paid for.

Princess Lea said...

Ah, yes, it does have to be paid for, but HM does not automatically include "money waster." One can spend money without being an HM!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's the one.

SiBaW said...

It’s all relative. You may or may not be HM in and of itself , but compared to others you might just be. HM requires context.

Also, I don’t think HM is about cost of services, but time and money spent in relation to how much one has. Specifically, if someone spends an inordinate amount of time “maintaining” themselves I suppose they might be classified as HM person as well. Alternatively, one who has the ability and means (time and money) to responsibly utilize expensive attire, accessories, makeup, beauty services, etc. should arguably not be considered HM.