Monday, February 13, 2012

Battle of the Bulge: Chewing

When I was still stuck in a uniform skirt, I had the same issues every lunch. 
 
Bell would ring. Whip out my sandwich. 60 seconds later lick my fingers and gather up the crumbs. 

And spend the next 40 minutes watching classmates slowly consume their lunches. 

I didn't know what I was doing wrong. 

How does one sit there and actually put the sandwich down between bites?

I once attended a fascinating shiur given by Rabbi Rietti, in which he discusses the Rambam's guide to a long, healthy life. Chewing until food is a liquid was recommended.

Digestion begins in the mouth with the help enzymes in saliva. Apparently, wolfing down my food like a python unhinging its lower jaw and swallowing a pig whole is not the way to go.  
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00795/burmese-python_795957c.jpg
You should see the photos right after they have swallowed dinner.
I'm definitely better now. Lunch takes between 10-15 minutes; not yet ideal liquid-chewing, but baby steps.

By chewing thoroughly, the stomach will register the food and tell the consumer's brain that it is full. Otherwise, one can keep on eating and eating and the stomach can't process that it is full until after overeating. 

4 comments:

FrumGeek said...

Haha! I had the same issue! The way I got around this is to eat with someone. That way, you have to put down your food and stop eating periodically to talk. It can make the sandwich last a good 20-30 minutes.

Princess Lea said...

Ugh, I can't stand to talk and eat. I obsess of something is in my teeth.

Rachel said...

I don't get you both, food is enjoyable! Don't you want to make it last longer? I eat on the slow end, but it doesn't help matters much because people think I'm overeating: I was eating before they showed up, and still eating when they leave! Like I care!

Princess Lea said...

iRiR: I adore food! I love it so much I could eat it up. In record time. I envy people like you that can take their time. That's what I need to work on.