Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Careful with the Cardigan

Ladies, when wearing a cardigan, let me be clear: If the sweater stops right below the tuchus, and has an elasticized bottom, while the fabric on top balloons out, no. 

OK, maybe that wasn't very clear. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhjFNGFsgDQZr6_mxRkrRpajZM6zs7A731zEy0Wvpe7H-phET6j5x11sFwLTtfsmCzoFjpamklta_-J1xVVqp_Ng8ra96HjZx9sF5O7ztQW5YioB_xix0op0XCxy5imG562wNakRvx0l_Tk/s400/Delias+%27Eliana%27+Boyfriend+Cardigan.jpg
Oh, my eyes!
I think it is sometimes called "the boyfriend cardigan" (I'm not sure why, it doesn't look remotely manly). This sweater, if ever worn (it should have been smothered in its sleep) certainly would never flatter any skirt-wearer; it can only go with jeans. 
http://www3.images.coolspotters.com/photos/179805/vince-wrap-front-cashmere-sweater-with-rib-sleeve-profile.jpg

My main objection is how some think the flariness then the elastic bottom conceals the posterior. It doesn't. It simply adds to it. It draws the eyes to it. It screams "Look at my hiney!" 

Long tops don't suit those who are usually stuck with skirts. However, if determined to do so, the long sweater should be unhindered drapiness, perhaps cinched with a belt to define the waist. But certainly not with an elastic hem at the end of a baggy shape. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi2Xrkp3Ws6tGcsYSJSLtxkkI9feunSkE3ABbpn6XDAqjlt0zTnBQSxycivCfN9ijY3bpncjG5pOjMsNzKvplQs8Ry2_sEA6Mc4CQB31EPaaw041zghE9iGfv67zQbRv_WGZy5pb0_bri1Z/s400/IMG_0294.JPG
Via shopworthwhile.blogspot.com
http://www.flyandmighty.com/images/elie_tahari_wool_cashmere_wrap_sweater_blueflys_blog_flypaper.jpg

13 comments:

tesyaa said...

Agree - long tops with a skirt are hopeless - even with a belt you have to be careful. Unless you are literally a toothpick.

tesyaa said...

OK, not literally a toothpick, since toothpicks don't wear clothing. I hate when people misuse "literally", and here I went ahead and did it myself.

Princess Lea said...

Even the toothpick would look better in something else.

I absolve thy "literally."

Anonymous said...

Additional caveat-- as well as wearing a pencil skirt with the long top, this ALWAYS looks better with a longer skirt than a normal just-below-knee length, otherwise it looks like your skirt is being consumed by sweater monster from the top down nom.nom.nom.

Princess Lea said...

I'm not sure if I totally agree. My position is that knee-length is always better; mid-calf is a heck no, and floor length can usually be outshown by some visible leg.

Love Cookie Monster.

tesyaa said...

Long sweater + long skirt = Nooooooooooo, unless you are exactly 16, 17, or 18 years old.

If you are after a certain look, a long sweater with a knee length skirt can give the impression of a miniskirt while still being covered up.

Princess Lea said...

In the end everyone looks better in knee-length. This past year I found that I stopped wearing long skirts, since I feel sharper in the short ones.

tesyaa said...

Lea, I was at the hardcore stage of cleaning my kitchen for Pesach and my babysitter walked in and did a double take. Of all the chaos, what shocked her? "I never saw you wearing a long skirt before!"

Princess Lea said...

You have a very observant babysitter!

I only wear the long shleppy ones with the elastic waist around the house so I can throw myself on a couch. That's its sole purpose.

Rachel said...

I love this post of yours! I just wanted to add that I found a pretty nice cardigan that works well with pencil skirts (short ones): http://goo.gl/BWjGT

And I agree about the long skirts -- they just don't look good with long sweaters. Then you look endless. I'm tall (5'9") so that would mean looking way out of proportion.

Princess Lea said...

Since I am 5'10", we are agreed! When I am wearing that long shlumpy skirt in the house and I catch a glance of myself in the mirror, I feel like a flagpole.

The sweater is adorable! And on sale!

Sefardi Gal said...

I really like all of the sweaters that you posted! So classy. Makes me miss shopping. Boo hoo.
Long shirts are hopeless with skirts unless a gal is pregnant or very thin.

Princess Lea said...

Even then! Shorter is usually better.