Monday, December 31, 2012

Vindication

Every once in a while Ma succumbs to temptation and finds herself calling a shadchan. Rarely has it proved to be worth the effort. 

Sitting with a woman who recently married off her 32-year-old daughter, Ma was recommended a "shadchan" whom she happened to know of already. What could it hurt calling up an old acquaintance? At her request I googled the lady's home number. 

"I don't do typical Lakewood boys or modern." 

"I—" 

"And if you have a television, you are modern." 

"Well, she does watch tv." 

"I don't care what else you do, you can scuba-dive, but I do not deal with anyone who watches television." 

"Who do you deal with?" 

"I strictly set up Michlala girls with baal teshuva boys." 

Opting not to inform this woman that I did not attend seminary at all, Ma cheerfully said thank you very much and hung up the phone. 

It's nice to be right. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you wonder why we have a shidduch crises (I know..not really a crises) seriously?? What kind of schadchan "strictly sets up Michlala girls with baal teshuva boys".......that is the oddest statement I've read on your blog.

Mr. Cohen said...

www.michlala.edu

Mich la-la-la-la!

:-) :-) :-) :-)

Mighty Garnel Ironheart said...

I have a relatively slow shadchanus business. I only deal with boys who worked as circus clowns before becoming frum and girls who have Coulrophobia.

Princess Lea said...

Wait a sec, Anon, how often to have odd statements on my blog?

As for MGI, I happen to have a healthy fear of clowns. Scare the bejeezus out of me.