Tuesday, August 12, 2014

No More Hollywood "Love"

One of the pleasant prerogatives of the feverish is cuddling up under the covers and watching television all day. (It is recommended to moan occasionally to maintain surrounding sympathies.) 

I energetically channel-surfed, and as there were no Law & Orders available, I made do with a decade-old rom-com. It was so predictable I couldn't bear to finish it. 

Let's see, there is the free spirit, daughter of a high-powered magnate and she has only been a disappointment to him. She doesn't "do" relationships. The guy that she met and made a fool of herself in front of is now—surprise!—her business associate. They get stuck together for some weekend project, where they "bond" over alcohol. 

It was at this point I flicked on a lame cooking show. Let me guess: She rises to the occasion and makes her father proud. She decides there is merit to a long-term relationship, after the guy she fools around with turns out to be a jerk. She has feelings for the business associate, her opposite in every way. 

Probably somebody chased something (taxi, plane, train) in the last two minutes of the film. 
http://gasstationburrito.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/how-to-lose-a-guy-in-10-days-2.jpg
New Yorkers, of course, care so much about romance that they don't mind holding back traffic. Snort.
I thought I was alone in my disgust and rejection of the dying rom-com, but apparently I am simply reflecting the feelings of a worldwide audience; movie-goers are sick of the rom-com, as "To Revive a Genre, Zombies and Snow" by Brooks Barnes reports. 
“People are not tired of romantic comedies,” Mr. Radcliffe said in a telephone interview. “They are tired of manipulative, cheap and sappy films filled with big romantic gestures that never happen in real life, ever.
Movie houses are now operating by a different method: let indie-filmmakers concoct more honest, less formulaic offerings for a laughingly small budget, see how the audiences take to it, then acquire it for relatively nothing (in mega-movie house terms).
http://www.santafejff.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Fill_the_Void_VERT_web280.jpg
"Fill the Void" was later acquired by Sony Pictures. The original movie budget was mostly eaten up by the clothing.
When I was younger, I thought relationships were simple; I gobbled up the rom-com with gleeful naivete. No more. Now, I want my movie romances to bear closer resemblances to reality, not teenage fantasies.     

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

it doesn't hurt that "fill the void" is just a spectacular movie on the merits - but, yes. it's also spectacular because it eschews rom-com norms.

Daniel Saunders said...

Get well soon!

Have you ever read Brideshead Revisited? It's obviously not a Rom Com, and the romantic plot is only a part of it, but I found it a welcome alternative to 'love conquers all' from a religious (Catholic) viewpoint. I would say more, but I don't want to spoil it if you haven't read it.

Princess Lea said...

gelt: Oh, it is soooo good.

DS: Does anyone die in it? I don't like it when characters die on me. (That's why Game of Thrones is such a pain. Not only do they die, they die violently).

Daniel Saunders said...

It's many, many years since I read it, so I won't swear to it, but if I recall correctly, only one minor character dies. A more important character becomes an alcoholic, but eventually finds some sort of piece. It's not a particularly depressing book.

I don't like it when characters die either, though I do put up with it for the sake of Literature. Or the more downbeat episodes of Doctor Who.

Princess Lea said...

"Game of Thrones" is certainly worth it, but he seems to be killing off everyone. Who's left for the plot line?

Daniel Saunders said...

I confess, I prefer science fiction to fantasy. And everything I heard about Game of Thrones made it sound far too violent for me! But most modern TV passes me by anyway. I'm currently working my through the DVD of first season of the original Star Trek, which I haven't seen for years and years.

Princess Lea said...

I read the books, not watch the episodes. The gore, then, is left to the limits if imagination.

I can only tolerate TNG. Patrick Stewart, Patrick Stewart, Patrick Stewart!

Daniel Saunders said...

I never much liked Jean-Luc, although part of that was wondering why they got an actor with such a wonderful English accent to play a Frenchman. A tea-drinking Frenchman at that (do they even exist?). He was a good Claudius in Hamlet, though.

Princess Lea said...

Hey, it's the peace-loving future. Apparently, there the French and English actually interbreed.

Daniel Saunders said...

Humans and Vulcans, yes. Humans and Klingons, OK. But English and French? Too impossible, even for science fiction!