Friday, August 15, 2014

"Shidduch Lit" Revived

I closed the book with a satisfied sigh. 
http://imgc.artprintimages.com/images/art-print/george-marks-woman-hugging-book-to-chest-on-arm-chair-portrait_i-G-56-5638-CAZMG00Z.jpg
From the first moment I had opened it, I knew it would be gripping, but I didn't comprehend how gripping. It also contained many observations and experiences about the state of marriage that would be applicable in our day, despite the fact it was written in 1921. 

I had attempted to take note of the many passages I wished to pass on to my readership, but found that simply advocating the title would be a better option. 

It came to me then, on that lazy Shabbos afternoon (after prying the book out of my sister-in-law's hands since she pinched it when I dozed off), that there should be added titles to Bad4's original lists of "Shidduch Lit" (her additional posts on the subject here and here).

My nominee: The Girls by Edna Ferber. It discusses quite a number of topics: young love and parental objection; the status of an unmarried woman in society; settling; 'tis it (really) better to have loved and lost than to have loved at all?
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/1c/76/db/1c76dbf252726fa2a7fc14f3c9e344f2.jpg
It doesn't have the expected happy ending, but it made it all the more endearing. 

Second suggestion: I am not proud of this, but He's Just Not That Into You by Greg Behrendt and Liz Tuccillo was an entertaining as well as comforting read. But, according to the Bad4 rating system, it gets a capital "U" for "unaidel." The most delectable snippets I plan on sharing on the blog, however (yes, the shidduch crisis is mentioned in there! Kinda), so I'll fill you guys in. 

I open the floor to all the frum readers out there: Are there any titles not named by Bad4 or myself that is worthy of a "Shidduch Lit" label?   

4 comments:

Daniel Saunders said...

I don't think that there's much I read that would be included as 'shidduch lit', but I suppose Bleak House has a key plot point about settling for someone you admire, but don't love (there's a similar, but theme, but more downbeat, in Hard Times). And, yes, I remember that you don't like Dickens. But Bleak House is amazing.

Princess Lea said...

I saw the BBC adaptation of "Bleak House," and it was enjoyable, although knowing how Dickens operates, I guessed major plot points. Ah, Dickens, how I know thee.

Daniel Saunders said...

Ah, but Dickens isn't about the (predicatable, slight, contrived and/or uninvolving) plots, Dickens is about the characters and the prose style, which admittedly you do have to be in the right mood for.

Princess Lea said...

I had to google "Uriah Heep" while reading "The Girls," because one repellant suitor reminded a character of him.