Friday, January 25, 2013

Message From My Sponsor

Luke threatens every once in a while that he'll start his own blog, but on condition that I maintain and write it for him. I told him this is the closest he'll get

Luke went towards the elevators with the intention of going up. There was an older woman there; as he pressed the "up" button for himself, he asked, "Are you going down?" and punched the "down" as well. 

"Thank you, sweetheart." 

Her elevator arrived before his did. He held it open for her chivalrously as she shuffled in. 

He said to me, "If I had been looking at my phone, I would have missed out on that opportunity."

There is easy chesed to grasp every day. But we need our heads up, actually seeing the people around us (perhaps being bored from time to time), in order to be aware of them.

Perhaps that is my main objection to the miraculous advances of cell phone technology (along with the premature aging phenomenon of "smartphone face"): We no longer see each other. A friend is now someone who can provide me with entertainment; if not, this screen will instead. 


There is a place for boredom, for spacing out, to being aware of deep thoughts. The one can see the little old woman and providing her with the consideration she deserves. 

How can one act if one doesn't see?    

4 comments:

FrumGeek said...

I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Too busy on my smartphone :P

Princess Lea said...

FG: Tsk tsk tsk, she said, as she wagged her finger.

TPV: RELEVANCE TO POST?!?!

Anonymous said...

If you haven't noticed, TPV left links in other articles as well. In addition, the picture associated with the above article is folded over and the names appear to have possibly been photoshopped in as well. If the letter is legitimate, I would like to see a nice clean shot of it. Until then, although the issue sounds like a real one, I am not sure that it is being dealt with properly.

Princess Lea said...

Anon: If you are leaving a comment for TPV, then I suggest you leave it at TPV's blog, not here. Then he is more likely to read it.