Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baaaack, Baaaack You Bloodsuckers

Mosquito season in my neck of the woods is not pleasant. 

Avoiding DEET, I purchased a variety of "healthy" bug repellants, which usually are unpleasant yellow oil that can potentially stain clothing. And the success rate is not even the best; I even bought a sunblock with the aforementioned grease with claims of bug repelling, and came home with four bites on my legs.

One day last summer I tried a new sunblock—not as a repellant—and was surprised that day after day my legs were unmolested. 

The sunscreen is Alba Botanica Lavender Sunblock. The lavender, it seems, was keeping my skin whole. 
http://www.luxuryparlor.com/static/products-map/images/alba-lavender-sunblock-spf-45-.jpg
Along with the sunscreen, I purchased a lavender body spray, which I used liberally throughout the summer. I sailed through August with barely any bites, and the smell is pleasant and soothing. I used it on the kinfauna when I took them outside; no  more worries I was going to return scratching children to their parents. It's great because I can apply it on Shabbos, as opposed to greasy creams. 
http://yahwehyoga.com/yysite/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Untitled-2.jpg
I ran out in the beginning of September. I didn't bother to restock, since how long could the mosquitoes last? 

Almost into October. I was one, big, itching welt.

This year, I bought the BIG bottle of lavender. And will definitely reorder if it gets low.

For on-the-go refreshers, I purchased a travel-sized atomizer. In purple. ('Cause it's lavender, get it?)  

Lavender is a great bug repellant in general. Plant lavender around the property, and one can even use lavender incense for evenings outside. It has been concluded (I saw this on AOL, but misplaced the link) that the best moth repellant is lavender, not cedar, mint, or lemon. I got a bag of loose dried flowers to make my own sachets for my drawers and closets. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgiESFRuZioqVlg42NRUa342JnhnqqfmfJTrzlpxkzQ7IIQKpCzddwrtHDz0gun8Mvf2v-VKf73YKAz0S0z05M1xKmRZHuKYCgRCDZy73CHfwJACVpLZbWuQevvMrd4rYngImoWjQAsJ8tb/s640/lavender-sachet.jpg

5 comments:

Sparrow said...

Awesome! Good to know. The other plant that seems to work is lemon balm.

Maya Resnikoff said...

Good to know. I should try some on my husband, who seems to attract more of our bugs than I do...

Princess Lea said...

It is not normal how well this stuff works.

Sporadic Intelligence said...

This is some "natural" thing of your I might actually try, instead" of just saying "nice idea, not for me". I LOVE lavender!

Princess Lea said...

I know I get tedious. But this stuff really, really works and there isn't any negatives to it; no staining clothing, no smelly grease, can be used on Shabbos, and smells like perfume! It's all good!