Friday, June 29, 2012

Protect the Pout

Shielding skin from the sun is a requirement, but lips can sometimes be neglected. Lip skin is actually thinner than other skin, and is more susceptible to damage. 
http://www.goodwp.com/large/201201/21000.jpg
My favorite SPF lip balm is Giovanni Street Chic Premium Lip Balm SPF 35 in Peppermint Treat. I apply it before lipstick, and it also works very well on bare lips. 

I became addicted, from my other lip balms, to the feeling of tingly-ness, and this one provides that very well. I keep one at home and one in my office desk, since I always feel that exposing SPF products to heat (say, if it was in my bag) would degrade the potency. I just make sure to reapply before going out.

Drugstores are bursting now with lip SPF options, by Blistex, Carmex, Chapstick, Neutrogena, Soft Lips, as well as store brands.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

For some reason, lip balm always ends up making my lips more chapped.

Though my favorite is Burts Bees.

I love that tingly feeling also.

Princess Lea said...

Depending on ingredients, lip balms can actually worsen chapped lips.

The tingly sensation I love comes at a price: ingredients like phenol, menthol, and camphor can actually aggravate lip skin more. Silicone oil should be avoided as well, along with fragrances.

I love the Burt's Bees Lip Tin, which I use only at night before bed (since it has no SPF). The Giovanni has menthol, but it is listed as the last ingredient so hopefully there isn't much.

Maybe I'll try the Alba Botanica Sunblock Lipcare SPF 25 next. It doesn't have any of those bad ingredients.

Carmex is marketed for cold sores, and so has many drying out ingredients like salicylic acid, so that should not be used for regular chapped lips.

I have to wean myself off the tingly, and get just a straight up SPF lip balm, no stunty sensations.