Friday, June 8, 2012

Shabbos Face: Lips, 1: Prep

In order to get lip color to adhere to the skin better, lips should be devoid of dead skin cells that may get in the way. I use Softlips Pure Organic Coconut and Sugar Exfoliating Lip Polish, but it is just overpriced sugar. Making homemade scrubs is easy.


Many just use a soft, fluffy toothbrush to remove flaky lip skin. 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEi08sprzn6iMzU9hUlsFeFM3WptDLErGnhMzUnpcr1Jso5z5VYbH2eG_2MRpDJCvvLrSNqOG3UaMQHb_BhqHyoEq4y_jxjNFOiVhjIXC3BAm2dsEdLauwZz7Rgp3NrnmetlTH2XwGoiJOEG/s1600/dry-toothbrush-on-lip.jpg
When all the dead flaky skin has been successfully buffed off, apply a moisturizing lip balm. My current favorite (and has been for the last few years) is Burt's Bees Beeswax Lip Balm Tin. I scrape off a little with my fingernail and rub it thoroughly in. 

Long lasting lipcolors (like the ones I will soon recommend) are notoriously drying, so balms will provide some desperately needed moisture.

But since balm can also interfere with how color holds, I apply it early in the makeup process to give it time to sink in, then if there is still too much excess I dab it lightly off, leaving a hint behind.  

Next: Shabbos lip-lining! 

No comments: